Behavior Expectations/Discipline Policy
It is important that camp staff maintain good order and discipline in all programs and workshops. Top objectives are safety and a positive atmosphere for learning and developing musicianship and social skills. The camp staff will make every effort to help students understand clear definitions of acceptable and unacceptable behavior.
The MHU Department of Music does not condone and will not permit:
- Corporal punishment
- Ridiculing, threatening, or using an inappropriate loud voice
- Leaving students unsupervised
- Use of profanity
A student’s behavior is expected to be consistent with the following:
- Use appropriate language at all times
- Cooperate with staff and follow directions
- Respect other students, staff, equipment, facilities and himself or herself
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Stay in program and instructional areas – leaving these areas for any reason is not acceptable
The Discipline Policy
- If a student is unable to comply with the behavior expectations, a conference will be held by the camp director with the student. The parent(s)/guardian(s) will be notified by phone and in writing.
- The camp director will set up a conference with the parent(s)/guardian(s) if after the above meeting the student is still unable to comply with the behavior expectations. A behavior contract will be established and signed by the student, parent(s) or guardian(s) and the camp director.
- The student will be subject to suspension or dismissal if the student’s behavior continues to be disruptive and / or unsafe.
- Failure of parent(s) or guardian(s) to attend conference(s) and cooperate will subject the student to suspension or dismissal.
Behaviors that may result in immediate dismissal include but are not limited to:
- Any action that could threaten or pose a direct threat to the physical/emotional safety of the student or other students or staff.
- Possession of a weapon of any kind.
- Vandalism or destruction of school property or property of others.
- Sexual misconduct.
- Possession of or use of alcohol or tobacco products (including electronic cigarettes) or controlled substances unless under the prescription of a doctor.
- Running away or leaving camp instructional areas.
Parents or guardians are required to inform the MHU Department of Music in writing, prior to a student’s acceptance in the summer music camp program, of any special circumstances which may affect the student’s ability to participate fully and within the guidelines of acceptable behavior, including but not limited to any serious behavioral problems or special circumstances regarding psychological, medical or physical conditions.
Upon being informed of such circumstances, the camp director (or his/her designee, i.e. assistant camp director or camp staff) may require a conference with the parent(s)/guardian(s) to discuss issues created by these circumstances.
Mr. Michael Robinson
Director of Bands
Office: 201 Moore Auditorium
Phone: (828) 689-1210
Mars Hill Summer Music Camp
Attn: Michael Robinson
100 Athletic Street
Mars Hill, NC 28754