The 31st Blue Ridge Old Time Music Week (BROTMW) will be held on the campus of Mars Hill University June 4-10, 2023. Make plans to join us!
All housing will be single bedrooms only.
Cost to attend:
On campus plan includes dorm room, morning class, t-shirt and all meals. Commuter plan includes morning class, lunch and t-shirt.
*Local students participating in mini-classes only will not receive a t-shirt, but can purchase one for an additional $15 charge.
As requested, we are now offering swim time slots in the afternoon at our in-door pool during mini-class instructional time. You may choose from a 1pm, 2pm, or 3pm time slot. Price for the week will be the same as a mini-class. Come prepared. Towels are not provided.
• Advanced Fiddle: Sophie Wellington
• Intermediate Fiddle: Tricia Spencer
• Advanced Banjo: Brad Kolodner
• Intermediate Banjo: Cathy Fink
• Advanced Guitar: Kellie Allen
• Intermediate Guitar: Howard Rains
• Rhythm & Repertoire: David Bragger and Susan Platz (THIS CLASS IS FULL- Contact Stacey Allen (Sallen@mhu.edu) to be added to the waitlist.
• Rhythm & Repertoire: Judy Hyman and Jeff Claus
• Harmony Singing: Suzannah Park
• Mountain Dulcimer: Karen Mueller
• Intermediate/Advanced Mandolin: Marcy Marxer
• Early Intermediate Ensemble (all instruments): Rachel Eddy
To be placed on a waitlist for full classes, call 828-689-1167.
These classes are 50 minutes long and require a separate fee.
• Grandma’s Cheats (Old-Time Fiddle with Tricia Spencer)
• Old-time Texas Tunes (fiddle with Howard Rains)
• Ukulele Fun for Everyone (taught by Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer)
• Carter Family Songs (taught by Kellie Allen and Pete Peterson)
• Playing Up the Neck (banjo taught by Brad Kolodner)
• Unlocking the Music of Flatfooting (taught by Sophie Wellington)
• Old-Time Bow Rocking and Fundamental Bow Rhythms for Fiddle (taught by David Bragger)
• A Yodel-a-Day Keeps the Blues Away (singing with Susan Platz)
• Banjo Uke: Little Instrument, Big Groove (taught by Jeff Claus)
• Shaped Note Singing with Margaret Wright – This is a FREE class!
• Mandolin Matinees (taught by Bob Buckingham)
• Autoharp (taught by Karen Mueller)
• Bowing through Judy’s Eyes (fiddle taught by Judy Hyman) THIS CLASS IS FULL- Contact Stacey Allen (Sallen@mhu.edu) to be added to the waitlist.
• Fingerstyle Banjo (taught by Pete Peterson)
• Ballads and Rounds (singing taught by Suzannah Park)
• Upright Bass (taught by Amy Buckingham)
• Intermediate Mountain Dulcimer (taught by Lloyd Wright)
To be placed on a wait list, call 828-689-1167.