Blue Ridge OLD-Time Music Week
June 6 – June 12, 2021
The 29th Blue Ridge Old Time Music Week (BROTMW) will be held on the campus of Mars Hill University June 6-12, 2021. Make plans to join us as we resume this musical adventure after our 2020 COVID-19 hiatus.
All housing will be single bedrooms only.
Cost to attend:
- Non A/C Room $629
- A/C Room $679
- Commuter $429
- Mini Classes $89 each (Singing Shaped Note is FREE)
On campus plan includes dorm room, morning class, t shirt and all meals. Commuter plan includes morning class, lunch and t shirt.
We have taken precautionary measures throughout the year to ensure the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and we have successfully had an in-person, on campus, school year. All state and local guidelines for preventing the spread of Covid must be adhered to. BROTMW classes will have a strict class size policy. No class can exceed more students than can be safely, socially distanced per the square footage of the room. Outdoor space will be utilized for classes when applicable.
Campus dining now includes more outdoor seating to help ensure a safe distance. All meals will be served by our Chartwells Dining staff. It is still all-you-can-eat buffet style, but you can no longer serve yourself for your safety and the safety of others.
- Banjo Early Intermediate: Robby Robertson
- Banjo Intermediate: Hilary Dirlam
- Banjo Advanced: Riley Baugus (Class is full. Waiting list has been started.)
- Dulcimer Beginning: Margaret Wright
- Dulcimer Intermediate/Advanced: Don Pedi
- Fiddle Early Intermediate: Emily Schaad
- Fiddle Intermediate: Beverly Smith (Class is full. Waiting list has been started.)
- Fiddle Advanced: Rachel Eddy (Class is full. Waiting list has been started.)
- Fiddle Blues and Rags: Mick Kinney (Class is full. Waiting list has been started.)
- Guitar Early Intermediate: Susie Coleman
- Guitar Intermediate: San Gleaves
- Guitar Advanced Old-time: Evan Kinney
- Rhythm and Repertoire: Howard Rains and Tricia Spencer (Class is full. Waiting list has been started.)
- Mandolin Intermediate/Advanced: Pete Vigour
- Old-Time Duets: Kari Sickenberger and Laurelyn Dossett (Class is full. Waiting list has been started.)
To be placed on a waiting list, call 828-689-1167.
Mini-courses: These classes are 50 minutes long and require separate fee. Course description will be posted shortly
- Beginning Guitar – Susie Coleman
- Harmony in Appalachian Singing Styles – Kay Justice/Sam Gleaves/Ginny Hawker (Class is full. Waiting list has been started.)
- Banjo Beginning – Evan Kinney
- Banjo How to Translate Fiddle into Banjo – Rachel Eddy (Class is full. Waiting list has been started.)
- Bass Beginning – Amy Buckingham
- Fiddle Midwestern Fiddling – Tricia Spencer (Class is full. Waiting list has been started.)
- Guitar Midwest Guitar Backup – Howard Rains
- Banjo Rag & Blues Banjo – Mick Kinney
- Banjo Solo Tunes for Clawhammer Banjo – Riley Baugus
- Bass Intermediate/Advanced Bass – Hillary Dirlam
- Dance Flatfooting – Emolyn Liden
- Fiddle from Scratch – Ellen Vigour
- Mandolin Window Dressings – Bob Buckingham
- Singing Shaped Note – Margaret Wright