The following degrees are fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST):
It is the mission of the Mars Hill University Theatre Arts Department to provide a nurturing training environment for students and support their artistic growth in all theatrical disciplines, rigorously educate them to become collaborators and leaders in their professions, and encourage them to aspire to theatrical excellence in their communities and to communities throughout the world.
1. To provide students with a solid foundation in the study of theatre, preparing them for careers in the professional or educational arenas or further study in a graduate program.
2. To provide students with a variety of opportunities to be their most creative in artistic endeavors, and challenge and strengthen their abilities to do so.
3. To develop the students’ intellectual curiosities, expose them to the vast variety and diversity that is inherent in theatre, and encourage them to explore new horizons in the ever-evolving art form.
4. To foster independence, confidence, and initiative in students’ educational experiences and projected career paths.
5. To provide participation opportunities and cultural experiences for the campus community and the Southern Appalachian region, and to work in concert with other departments and programs of study within the university and other academic institutions.
It is the faculty’s belief and commitment that the Theatre Arts department course offerings and programming will reflect and meet desired student learning outcomes as follows.
The students will: