BONNER SCHOLARS PROGRAM
ACCESS TO EDUCATION;OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE
The Bonner Scholars Program provides students who are interested in community service with the financial support needed to attend college and continue to be involved in the community. The Bonner Scholarship is available to students who have a passion for community work and social justice. In addition to service experience, most students must demonstrate financial need as evidenced by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be selected for the program. Bonner Scholars participate in service, leadership development and meetings/trainings for approximately 10 hours a week. Applications are being accepted for Fall 2019.
- Complete 140 hours of combined service, training, meetings, and class sessions per semester
- Attend regularly scheduled required Bonner meetings
- Participate in pre-service orientation and first-year spring break service trip
- Complete two summers of service with at least 280 hours each summer with local, state, national or international non-profits or government agencies while in college
- Maintain at least a 2.5 GPA
- Abide by all guidelines in the Mars Hill University Bonner Handbook
- Actively participate in Bonner Common Commitments
Bonner Common Commitments
- Social Justice: Advocating for fairness, impartiality and equality while addressing systemic social and environmental issues
- Civic Engagement: Participating intentionally as a citizen in the democratic process, actively engaging in public policy and direct services.
- Spiritual Exploration: Exploring personal beliefs, values, and spirituality while respecting the practice of others.
- Community-Building: Establishing and sustaining a vibrant community of place, personal relationships, and common interests
- International Understanding: Developing international understanding that enables individuals to participate successfully and sensitively in a global society
- Diversity: Respecting and engaging with the many different dimensions of diversity in our public lives.