Financial Aid (AGS)

Federal Aid

Federal Aid includes the Federal Pell Grant and the Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans. To determine your eligibility you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each academic year. The FAFSA can be completed online at The school code for Mars Hill University is 002944. If you are enrolled for at least 12 hours per semester, you may be eligible for maximum benefits. The amount of the Federal Pell Grant is dependent upon the number of hours for which you are enrolled each semester. To qualify for a Federal Direct Loan, you must be enrolled for at least 6 hours per semester.

Scholarship Opportunities

Scholarships available through Mars Hill University available exclusively to students starting or currently enrolled in AGS programs:

HOUGH, John & Beverly – This scholarship is awarded to students who have been formally admitted to the Teacher Education Program. Recipients must exhibit academic achievement and financial need. Recipients must maintain a 3.0 GPA and be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours. First priority for this award will go to descendants of John and Lillian Hough, Sr. and Gary and Jo Nance, and second to citizens of Madison County, NC. This scholarship is not renewable but a student can reapply each year to be considered once again for the scholarship.

RAPP/LATHROP (Widowed Persons Scholarship) – This scholarship is for students who are widowed, divorced or a single parent looking to continue their education. Student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours. This scholarship is not renewable but a student can reapply each year to be considered once again for the scholarship.

WINN ACCESS SCHOLARSHIP – This scholarship will be awarded to adult students, older than usual college age that are working on a degree and carrying a minimum of 12 semester hours. Financial need is a consideration and students must maintain a 3.0 GPA, as well as demonstrate career attainment and potential. This scholarship is not renewable but a student can reapply each year to be considered once again for the scholarship.

BUCHANAN, James D. and Patricia C. – This scholarship is for adult students in good academic standing who are pursuing an undergraduate degree in the Adult and Graduate Studies program.

WHITLEY, Esstoya Education Scholarship – This scholarship is for Adult and Graduate Studies students who exhibit financial need and are either (1) an undergraduate Education major in the AGS program or (2) an AGS Education graduate student.

FRENCH BROAD ELECTRIC MEMBERSHIP CORPORATION – Must be either a member of French Broad EMC or must be a dependent of a French Broad EMC member for one year prior to applying for the scholarship. Membership will be verified.

Other scholarship opportunities:

COMMUNITY FOUNDATION OF HENDERSON COUNTY-Academic scholarships are open to students pursuing community college, college or university degrees. Scholarships are primarily for students who are graduating or have graduated from high schools within Henderson County, N.C., and include home school and private school graduates. Students must apply for this scholarship directly through the Community Foundation Scholarship Page.

ALPHA SIGMA LAMBDA SCHOLARSHIP – Any student at an institution that has an Alpha Sigma Lambda Chapter and who has achieved the following criteria may apply (Student does not have to be a member of the local Alpha Sigma Lambda chapter to apply):

  • Completed 24 semester hours (45 quarter hours) of graded coursework at this institution. (Not including transfer credits)
  • Achieved a grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale on all work taken at this institution
  • Is enrolled in an associate’s or baccalaureate degree program at this institution
  • Has a financial need for assistance to complete the degree

Application packets can be found on the Alpha Sigma Lambda website. Completed application packets are generally due by the end of April. Exact deadline dates are determined each year and will be noted in the application materials. Only Chapter Councilors may forward application packets to the Home Office after verifying your GPA, completed hours at the institution, and other required information. You may not forward your own packets.

Students should also check with their employers about other scholarship opportunities and tuition reimbursement.

Contact Us:

Cassandra Buckner, AGS Financial Aid Counselor
(828) 689-1123