Traditional, Pre-licensure B.S.N. Program
Consistent with the university’s mission statement, the MHU Traditional, Pre-licensure B.S.N. Program is grounded in a rigorous study of the liberal arts, prepares professionals for the world of work, and is committed to character development, health care service, and responsible citizenship.
Mission statement for the MHU Traditional, Pre-licensure B.S.N. program:
The Traditional, Pre-licensure B.S.N. Program at Mars Hill University equips students with the knowledge, skills, and professional dispositions to provide innovative health care across the lifespan through the roles of provider of care, designer of care, and member of the profession. Students will experience an education that:
- Sharpens critical thinking and clinical judgment
- Enhances health promotion and cultural sensitivity perspectives
- Insists upon effective, interactive, and interdisciplinary communication
- Engages with the community.
Program Student Learning Outcomes:
The following program student learning outcomes extend the mission statement and reflect current expectations of Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) programs. The B.S.N. Program Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) are in alignment with the MHU Student Learning Outcomes.
- Students will apply components of health promotion theory and pertinent nursing theories across the lifespan, cultures, and communities.
- Students will demonstrate the importance of scientific inquiry and its role in grounding nursing in evidence-based practice.
- Students will participate in interdisciplinary care for enhancement of patient outcomes.
- Students will apply ethics, moral character, altruism, and social justice in the nursing profession.
- Students will evaluate the role of gender, race/ethnicity, genomics/genetics, and environment on health promotion and disease prevention.
- Students will synthesize best practices in research, leadership, quality improvement, and patient safety into own professional practice.
- Students will communicate effectively through a variety of methods, technologies, and informatics platforms.
- Students will cultivate relationships with communities across various healthcare environments.
- Students will apply policy, finance, and regulatory environments to healthcare delivery.
- Students will synthesize advanced knowledge, self-discovery, team dynamics, and experience acquired through the BSN program.
Admissions Criteria for the Traditional, Pre-Licensure BSN Program:
- must be accepted to the University and have a Student ID number to apply to the Judge-McRae School of Nursing.
- *Academics: 3.0 overall GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in post-secondary work and 3.0 overall GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in natural sciences courses (Chemistry, Biology, Anatomy & Physiology, etc.)
- Listing as a Nursing Assistant (NA1) in North Carolina
- Clean Criminal Background Check for all states of residence for past 7 years
- Current Immunizations required by CDC, NC, and clinical agencies
- Current CPR card by AHA Healthcare Provider
- Liability Insurance for MHU Nursing Students (through MHU prior to first clinical course)
Additional Consideration for:
- *Extracurricular activities (especially in health related areas)
- *Athletic activities
- *Community service (especially in health related or volunteer areas)
- *Experience as a CNA I or other health care professional
- *Mars Hill University student during pre-nursing courses
- *Resident of western North Carolina
- *Minority classification for the profession of nursing
*Note that in these areas, applicants may earn additional points when required level is exceeded (or included on the Additional Consideration list).