Mars Hill University has two commencement exercises annually; for the 2017-18 academic year, these ceremonies take place on December 15, 2017, and May 12, 2018. Those students who complete degree requirements in summer school are invited to participate in the December ceremony.
Students expecting to graduate during the academic year are required to:
- Complete a graduation application indicating anticipated graduation date.
- Schedule an evaluation meeting with Brandon Johnson, Assistant Registrar, to determine completion of all academic requirements for general education and declared major(s), concentration(s), and minor(s) as stipulated in the catalog of record. Graduation requirements further state that a minimum of 128 semester hours of credit must be earned. Sixty credit hours must be earned at a senior level institution. The last 32 credit hours and a minimum of 12 hours in the major must be earned at Mars Hill University. The student must earn a grade point average of 2.00 for all courses attempted at Mars Hill excluding those taken on an S/U basis and those to which the Repeat Policy was applied. In addition, the student must earn a cumulative MHU and transfer grade point average of 2.00.
- Discharge all college financial obligations to the satisfaction of the business office and/or financial aid office.
For additional information contact Brandon Johnson, Assistant Registrar, at (828) 689-1152 or by email.
Fall 2017 Graduation Schedule
To participate in the December graduation ceremony, you must have met all academic requirements by 10:00am on Thursday, December 14, when grades are due.
Admission tickets are not distributed for December graduation. You are not limited in the number of guests you may invite.
December 15 – Commencement
- 11:00am Brunch for graduates and their families (sponsored by the MHU Alumni Board and the Student Development Office) (You must register for the brunch, which can be done online.)
- 2:30pm Graduates report to Spainhour Hall for Line-up and Honors recognitions
- 3:00pm COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY – Moore Auditorium, Moore Fine Arts Building – watch it live online
- Anyone without a guest ticket, they can view the ceremony on the monitors in the Day Hall Lobby area.
- A. Hope Williams, retired president of North Carolina Independent Colleges & Universities, will deliver the keynote address.
Other events leading up to graduation:
Tuesday, December 5 – Senior Convocation – Broyhill Chapel -11:00am
Tuesday, December 5 – Graduation Rehearsal – Moore Auditorium – 4:30pm
TBA – AGS Honor Society Induction – Mu Kappa Lambda, MHU Chapter of the Alpha Sigma Lambda Honor Society, in Broyhill Chapel.