Is Financial Aid available?
To find out if you qualify for federal loans and grants, you must fill out the FAFSA. AGS also has scholarships specifically designated for our adult undergraduate and graduate students. The descriptions and the scholarship application can be found here: https://www.mhu.edu/future-students/adult-undergraduate/financial-aid/
How do I get my textbooks?
Textbooks are included in the tuition cost. Textbooks are provided to students on a rental basis and must be returned at the end of the term – unless students wish to purchase them. Pick-up/delivery details will be provided at the beginning of each term. For more information, please call Karla at the bookstore at 828-689-1412 or email email@example.com.
Will I need a parking sticker?
All AGS students need to fill out a vehicle registration form, which you will find on myMHU. Once this form is completed, students will be issued a parking sticker at no cost.
Will I need immunization records?
Any AGS student enrolled in an on-campus day class* and taking any other class during that semester is required by North Carolina state law to present an adequate immunization record.
*any class that begins before 5 pm and that meets on any MHU campus. http://immunize.nc.gov/schools/collegesuniversities.htm
How do I register for classes each semester?
Your first semester at MHU, you will register through the AGS office. Each semester afterward, in consultation with your advisor, you will register for classes online, through Self-Service.
Where will my classes be held?
Please check Self-Service immediately prior to the beginning of class for the most updated room assignments.
What happens in the event of bad weather?
As a rule, Adult & Graduate Studies classes will be cancelled if road conditions warrant. A decision is usually made before 4pm.
Cancellations will be:
Inclement weather may on occasion make it unsafe for students and instructors to travel to evening classes on campus in Mars Hill or at one of the university’s off-site instructional locations in Asheville and Burnsville. When this occurs, the university may cancel classes, either at all sites or at individual sites. Notification will go out by the means indicated above and will generally be sent out no later than 4:00 PM, though changing weather conditions may necessitate a later notification. Students should remain in contact with their instructor by phone, email and Moodle during such events.
Do I have the same access to Student Services as a traditional student?
As an AGS student you will have access to all the same resources and privileges as traditional students including:
• Access to the MHU Writing Center—The Writing Center, located in Renfro Library, room 133, offers free writing tutoring for all MHU students. Writers are encouraged to make an appointment, but drop-in visits are welcome, time permitting. Skype sessions are also available if you are at the South Asheville Site. For hours click here.
• Purdue Owl Online Writing Lab, a wonderful free resource found at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/
• MHU Counseling services—Located on the 2nd floor of the Wellness Center (Robinson Infirmary). Call 828-689-1196 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also request arrangements for an MHU Counselor to meet with you at the Asheville Center.
• MHU Career services—More information found on our website at mhu.edu/career.
• MHU Chaplain’s office—Our mission in Campus Ministry is to provide a safe place for students to share what is going on in their lives, and to help students, faculty, and staff integrate faith and learning. Contact Rev. Stephanie McLeskey at 828-689-1299 or email@example.com.
• Online Renfro Library—Login and password are found on myMHU. If you have any questions about how to navigate the online library, please contact the Reference/Instruction Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 828-689-1244/828-689-1391.
• Access to the on-campus Fitness Center-828-689-1243
If you have any other questions, please contact AGS on the main campus at email@example.com, or if you have specific questions about the Asheville Center for Adult and Graduate Studies, please contact Heidi at 828-689-1671 or firstname.lastname@example.org