Veterans' Benefits


Veterans Educational Benefits Programs

  • Chapter 30, New GI Bill (Montgomery GI Bill)
  • Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 32, Veterans Educational Assistance Program
  • Chapter 34, Old GI Bill
  • Chapter 35, Dependents Educational Assistance Program
  • Chapter 106, New GI Bill (Selected Service)

How to Apply for Educational Benefits

  • First-Time Students 
    Students who are initially applying for veterans benefits must complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for Educational Benefits. If not on active duty, the copy 4 of DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, must be submitted with the VA Form 22-1990. Students eligible under Chapter 106 will submit DD Form 2384. DD Form 2384 is issued to the students by their Reserve Unit. Students eligible under Chapter 35 must complete VA Form 22-5490.
  • Transfer Students 
    Veteran students transferring to Mars Hill University from another college/university will complete VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. Students receiving benefits under Chapter 35 will use VA Form 22-5495. These forms are available from the Department of Veteran Affairs, 1/888-442-4551. These forms are also available in the Registrar’s Office at Mars Hill University from out on-site VA school certifying official.  MHU accepts ACE transcripts.


Kara Mugrage
VA Certifying Official
phone: 828-689-1152