James H. Montgomery Appalachian Studies Endowed Scholarship
This endowed scholarship fund has been established to motivate Mars Hill University students to broaden their understanding of and appreciation for the history, culture, and environment of the Southern Blue Ridge mountains region. James H. Montgomery of Austin, Texas, a native of North Carolina, has established this scholarship through a major gift.
Selection Procedure: The Financial Aid Committee, upon the recommendation of the Appalachian Studies Scholarship Selection Committee, will make the selection. Scholarship amounts will vary annually, depending upon the number of applicants and their qualifications. All students selected will be required to participate in service opportunities that will enhance the region and/or Mars Hill University regional collections.
Applicants must be:
- classified as a sophomore, junior, or senior.
- pursuing an Appalachian Studies minor and have demonstrated excellence in Appalachian Studies coursework.
- maintaining a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher.
To continue to receive the scholarship, students must submit the following for yearly review by the Appalachian Studies Scholarship Selection Committee:
- Transcript, showing evidence of successful progression towards the Appalachian Studies minor and continued strong academic standing (maintaining the required minimum 3.0 G.P.A.)
- Evidence of significant service contributions to the Ramsey Center or another regional institution.
This page links to PDF files. Use this link to download Adobe Reader if needed.