Financial Aid FAQ


Q: Where can I get more information on student aid?

A: The best place for information about student financial aid is the Financial Aid Office here at Mars Hill University. You may come by the office any time between 8am and 5pm with questions in regards to your financial aid package.

Q: What is the difference between a scholarship/grant and a loan?

A: Scholarships and grants are funds awarded to a student that do not have to be paid back to anyone. Loans are funds that are awarded to the student, but these funds must eventually be paid back. In most cases, loan re-payment begins six months after graduation or six months after the student drops below half-time enrollment status at any point during their college career.

Q. Why fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

A. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in the financial aid process and must be completed annually. You use the FAFSA to apply for federal student aid, such as grants, loans and work-study. In addition, most states and colleges use information from the FAFSA to award non-federal aid.

Q: I have lots of questions about the FAFSA. Where can I get answers?

A:¬†Visit the¬†Help page of the official FAFSA website. It’s full of lots of helpful information and will likely answer all of your basic questions.

Q: What information do I need to have on-hand to be able to complete my FAFSA?

A: You will need: a) current tax returns for yourself and your parents, b) any w-2 forms, c) parent and student birthdates and social security numbers, d) student drivers license number (if applicable), e) both a student and parent electronic PIN used to sign the completed FAFSA, and f) the Mars Hill College school code: 002944.

Q: What does it mean if my FAFSA says I have been “selected for verification”?

A:¬†This means that¬†Mars Hill University must receive: a) your tax information AND your parents’ tax information for the year for which you are completing the FAFSA, and b) w-2 forms and a verification worksheet that is located on our¬†¬†Financial Aid Forms webpage.

Q. If my parents don’t claim me as a dependent on their income tax return, am I an Independent student on the FAFSA?

A:¬†¬†No, There are certain criteria listed on the FAFSA that determines a student’s dependency status.

Q: What happens if I do not complete my Student Employment or Community Involvement hours?

A: If a student does not complete his/her hours, the student will be responsible for the resulting balance on their student account.

Q: How do I know what positions are available for the Student Employment Program?

A:  Students can find a list of job descriptions and available jobs on myMHU.

Q: Who do I contact with questions regarding my student account or balance?