Transition of Care Plan

Welcome to Mars Hill University! We are so pleased you have chosen to join us. We have adapted this guide to help make your transition from high school to college as smooth as possible. If you are or have previously received treatment for a mental health condition, there are several things to keep in mind as you make your transition to college. This guide will help walk you through those considerations. The guide may also be useful if you currently receive or have received treatment for any chronic medical condition.

While we will focus on local resources in this guide, please check out the JED Foundation Set To Go website for even more resources and support.

MHU Student Health Center

Nash Building
Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Services include counseling and medical services.


MHU Counseling Center

How do I make an appointment?

Phone: (828) 689-1196
Walk-in appointments available

The Mars Hill University Counseling Center is an inclusive, nonjudgmental, and safe space where students can receive emotional support regardless of what they may be experiencing. Counseling services are free and confidential for all students. The Counseling Center offers the following support services for students:

  • Short-term and long-term counseling depending on the nature of the concern, including family sessions and couples counseling upon request
  • Consultation services when there is a specific personal concern or specific concern for another student that may not necessarily require counseling
  • Counseling groups to offer students additional support and to empower students to support one another
  • Mediation services upon request or upon referral
  • Campus-wide screenings for mental health related topics and for alcohol/substance use
  • Educational workshops to promote mental health awareness and wellness
  • Referrals to outside providers for extended treatment, psychological evaluation, and medication management.

If you are dealing with a mental health crisis after hours, call Campus Security at (828) 689-1230. They will then connect with the campus counselor or Mobile Crisis Management Services (see below).

Mobile Crisis Management Services


  • Available 24 hours a day every day of the year
  • Intensive, on-site intervention and stabilization of individuals experiencing a mental health, substance abuse, and/or developmental disability crisis.

For more information and resources, visit the MHU Counseling Center webpage.

RHA Health Services

A wide variety of mental health and substance use services, including outpatient at our offices and in the community. More information about the process is available through the MHU Counseling Center by contacting Phillip M. Brantley at

Pisgah Institute
158 Zillacoa St.
Asheville, NC 28801
(828) 254-9494

The largest, most comprehensive behavioral health practice in Western North Carolina, Pisgah Institute partners with the Counseling Center for preferred referrals. They offer consultation, medication management, and individual psychotherapy. More information is available through the MHU Counseling Center by contacting Phillip M. Brantley at

Medical Services

The Mars Hill University Student Health Center, located in Nash Hall, is the health facility for the campus community. The Student Health Center staff provides primary care for full-time students. The Student Health Center is part of the student life office and works closely with this office in order to assist in each student’s physical and emotional development during his/her college experience.

A physician, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner associated with the Hot Springs Health Program assesses sick and injured students at the center on Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. Students should arrive before 9am to see the physician. Physician services at the Student Health Center are at no additional cost to the student. 

Renee Sprinkle, RN
Director of Medical Services
Phone: (828) 689-1243
Fax: (828) 689-1445
Open hours 8am to 4:30 pm—no appointment necessary.

Additional Community Resources:

Mars Hill Medical Center (part of the Hot Springs Health Program)

Mon-Sat 8:30am-6pm, Sun 1pm-6pm
119 Mountain View Rd
Mars Hill, NC 28754
(828) 689-3507

Madison County Health Department

Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm
493 Medical Park Dr.
Marshall, NC 28753
(828) 649-3531

In order to maintain your prescriptions and prevent delays in obtaining refills, talk with your current provider and/or pharmacy about transferring your prescriptions to one of the pharmacies closer to campus. There are two pharmacies in the Mars Hill (both within walking distance of campus):

CVS Pharmacy
191 Carl Eller Rd.
Mars Hill, NC 28754
(828) 689-5757

Ingles Market (grocery store)
225 Carl Eller Rd.
Mars Hill, NC 28754
(828) 680-9569

Other nearby pharmacies:

Prescription Pad of Weaverville (offers delivery)
3 North Main St.
Weaverville, NC 28787
(828) 484-7800

CVS Pharmacy
121 Monticello Rd.
Weaverville, NC 28787
(828) 645-5802

Walgreens Pharmacy (approximately 16 miles away—North Asheville)
841 Merrimon Avenue
Asheville, NC 28804
(828) 225-5113

Walmart Pharmacy (located in Walmart Supercenter)
25 Northridge Commons Pkwy.
Weaverville, NC 28787
(828) 645-9071

Other Campus Resources

Accessibility Services

Renfro 309 (Library)
Judith Harris
Accessibility Services Coordinator

Now that you are in college, it is up to you to request accommodations; your IEP or 504 plan won’t transfer automatically. You will need to learn to advocate for yourself, but we are here to help you with that transition!

To begin, you will need to provide (send or bring with you) current documentation of your disability (within the last 5 years) that includes the following:

  • History
  • Formal diagnosis
  • Recommendations for accommodations

You will need to schedule an appointment with Judith Harris to discuss your documentation and create an appropriate accommodations plan for you each semester. Below are some forms that might be helpful for you to complete depending on your particular situation.

Accessibility Services Request for Academic Accommodations Form
Accessibility Services Request for Housing Accommodations Form

Forms and other documentation may be mailed, faxed, scanned and emailed, or hand delivered to the coordinator’s office located in Renfro Library 309. Once the documentation and form are received, the information is reviewed by the coordinator and, in some cases, the Accessibility Services Committee.

For specific information on Accessibility Services, visit the MHU Accessibility Services web page. You will find links to all the various kinds of accommodations as well as the process for requesting any/all accommodations.

Center for Religious and Spiritual Life

Our mission in the Center for Religious and Spiritual Life to provide a safe place for students to share what is going on in their lives, and to help students, faculty, and staff integrate faith and learning.

Pastoral counseling is available at no charge to students.

To schedule an appointment, contact or:

Rev. Stephanie McLeskey
(828) 689-1299

Dr. Serena McMillan
(828) 689-1664

Academic support services on campus:

Student Support Services (a Federal TRiO Program) is a resource for students who are First Generation college students, come from a low-income background AND/OR have a documented disability.  Space is limited to 165 MHU students.

Services and resources may include, but are not limited to:

  • Academic and Personal Advising
  • Peer tutoring
  • The SSS Computer Lab and Resource Center
  • The SSS Study Center
  • Assisting students with academic accommodations
  • Workshops and Seminars
  • Exposure to Cultural Programs

To apply for the program, visit the Student Support Services (SSS) office on the main floor of Renfro Library in the Center for Student Success (Renfro 205)


Contact Roderica Williams, Director, at or call the main office at (828) 689-1380.

MHU Writing Center

MHU Math Center

Adapted from Set to Go – Transition of Care Guide, with permission from The Jed Foundation (JED). JED is a nonprofit that exists to protect emotional health and prevent suicide for our nation’s teens and young adults. Set to Go, a JED program, guides students, families and high school educators through the social, emotional and mental health challenges related to the transition out of high school to college and adulthood.