Profile of 2020-21 Student Body
As of the official census date (September 8, 2020), the 2020-21 MHU student body included 1051 students; 949 are traditional students, 71 are AGS undergraduate students, 30 are graduate students, and 1 is a dual-enrolled student.
The Fall 2020 Traditional Student Body:
- Includes 605 continuing students, 287 new students, 45 transfers, and 11 returning after non-enrollment
- Includes 468 men (49.3%) and 481 (50.7%) women
- We are a diverse community: 21% Black or African-American, 5% Hispanic, 2 % Asian, 1% American Indian, and 4% two or more races.
- 68% are from North Carolina, 28% are from 29 other states, and 4% are from 15 other countries: Australia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Germany, Guatemala, Israel, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, and Zimbabwe.
- 24% hail from Madison, Buncombe, or Yancey counties
- 42% are first-generation college students
- 99% receive financial aid
- 49% are participating in athletics
- The average total SAT score for new students is 1010 (based on the 2016 SAT scale)
- The average high school GPA for new students is 3.4