Profile of 2019-20 Student Body
As of the official census date (October 1, 2019), the 2019-20 MHU student body included 1072 students; 960 are traditional students, 87 are AGS undergraduate students, 24 are graduate students, and 1 is a dual-enrolled student.
The Fall 2019 Traditional Student Body:
- Includes 630 continuing students, 275 new students, 43 transfers, and 12 returning after non-enrollment
- Includes 456 men (47.5%) and 504 (52.5%) women
- We are a diverse community: 18% Black or African-American, 7% Hispanic, 1 % Asian, 1% American Indian, 4% two or more races, and <1% Pacific Islander
- 68% are from North Carolina, 28% are from 29 other states, and 4% are from 19 other countries: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Germany, Guatemala, Israel, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Trinidad, United Kingdom, and Zimbabwe.
- 21% hail from Madison, Buncombe, or Yancey counties
- 43% are first-generation college students
- 98% receive financial aid
- 48% are participating in athletics
- The average total SAT score for new students is 1046 (based on the 2016 SAT scale)
- The average high school GPA for new students is 3.5